About

William Dudgeon and upholsterers, 1962

William Dudgeon and upholsterers, 1962

 
 

It all started when...

Dudgeon was established by Wing Commander Peter Dudgeon in 1947, after discovering that his Polish ground crew were exceptionally practical with their hands and wanted to stay in the United Kingdom and kept asking him for work.

The company started off specialising in fitted kitchens and sofas when they won a contract to supply a nearby department store which gave them the boost they needed for the business to really prosper. 

In 1961 Peter's son William joined the company, working with his father for five years until the founder retired, leaving his son solely in charge. By this time Peter Dudgeon Ltd had started focusing more and more on upholstered furniture, traditionally made, using artisan techniques still used in our furniture today.

In 1952 Dudgeon acquired a site less than one hundred metres from Harrods department store, in Brompton Place, where they set up the workshop and showroom until a fire destroyed it in 1976.

Once the building had been rebuilt they moved the showroom back but the workshop found new premises in the much more spacious Bartolozzi Mews, our current home in Fulham.

By this time Hugh Garforth-Bles had joined the company, and in 1993 William retired, leaving the company in Hugh's capable hands.

Since then Dudgeon Sofas has diversified and we now specialise in making bespoke furniture for residential and commercial properties - from the Four Seasons and Dorchester hotels, to palaces in the Middle East, homes in London and the UK, and indoor and outdoor pieces for superyachts

In 2014 the showroom left Brompton Place and moved to Bartolozzi Mews above the workshop where we can now show up to 50 pieces of furniture and offer customers free parking!

Our experience in making best quality sofas and chairs is probably unrivalled.

 

Member - The Association of Master Upholsterers (AMU) - since 1965
Industry Partner member - The British Institute of Interior Design (BIID) - since 1987
Recipient of three Manufacturing Guild Marks from The Worshipful Company of Furniture Makers - indicating excellent standards of design, workmanship, materials and function